Monday, January 2, 2012

Change

I keep checking this blog and for some reason, it's never updated! Guess that's my fault, huh.

By looking at my blog, a person would think I live a rather boring existence. Don't judge my life by my blog. My life is probably more exciting than I would like it to be at times. :) I just got back from my Christmas vacation to Idaho. As most of you probably know by now, I'm terrible at taking pictures, so don't be too disappointed.

I have probably NEVER been so excited to leave the warm, comfortable weather to enter the icy tundra of Idaho in my entire life!! I could hardly wait for the last day of school to end, and my road trip up north to begin. Now I am back in Arizona and ready to start school back up tomorrow. Tonight, while I was at Walmart, I was trying to find a cheap calendar for the new year. I narrowed it down to one of islands, beaches, and palm trees and one of the majestic mountains with snow on top. Anyone that knows me extremely well, knows that I have always had a fascination with sandy beaches and tall, beautiful palm trees. Whenever someone tells me to draw a picture, this is what it looks like. An island, two palm trees with three coconuts on each tree, a hammock tied to the trees, and me laying in the hammock drinking coconut juice. Oh, and a sun...and sometimes water. I have always said that this is my dream. I don't live on an island or even by a beach, but I am greeted by palm trees everywhere I look. I should be in heaven, right? This is my dream! Warm weather, hiking in the winter, no driving on slick roads. Well, while I was on my way back to Idaho, I felt overwhelmed by the tall mountains that greeted me in Utah. How could I forget in only 2 months how tall they are?! How beautiful they are! I left the mountains and am now back in Palm tree country. So, while I was deciding on what calendar to get, I realized that I could see palm trees out my window everyday, so I chose the mountains. As I was driving home, I knew what a strange decision that was and began to think about it. I have come to realize two things. First, you don't truly appreciate something until it's gone. And the other, we are never satisfied. I am always looking for something "exotic." But what does that word even mean? I live close to many beautiful places. I am 5 minutes from the Colorado river. I am only a couple of hours away from the grand canyon, one of the biggest national parks in the world! I think I have finally come to realize that life is as exotic as you make it. As Helen Keller once said, "Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing at all."
To make an oh so long story short; I miss Idaho. I miss the mountains. I miss my family. I miss my friends. I miss my comfortable life. I miss the close relationships I left behind. Even so, I am happy! I am content! And I will be okay. Someday, when my time in Arizona comes to an end, I know I will miss it. I know I'll miss the palm trees. I'll miss the friends and relationships I gained while here. And I will miss the comfortable life I made for myself. And I will still be happy. I will still be okay. Life is about change, growth, and our attitude towards those moments in life when we just don't know what to think anymore. I am in "exotic" Bullhead City, Arizona and I love it!! I would love it even more if you came to visit! ;)

Until next time, this is Tandy Lee signing out!
If you made it all the way through this rambling post, you deserve chocolate!

2 comments:

Kate said...

You are right, I DO deserve chocolate!

It's true, you don't realize what you are missing, until it is gone. I miss the mountains out west, and it brings an overwhelming feeling every time I fly into the Salt Lake valley. And also I love the feeling I get driving through the canyon on the way to Chesterfield.

But, home is where you make it. And the east coast is now my home. I have my roots in Idaho, but THIS is home to me. And I have grown to love it. Despite the bugs, and humidity, and crazy traffic! I love it here!

Camclan said...

SO I wanted to comment again and I really like your quote by President Hinckley....much food for thought! Thanks!