Friday, November 4, 2011

Be brave!

This blog post is dedicated to my dear friend, Rachel Holland. When we were roommates, there were certain things we had to do each day. One of those was one brave thing for the day. Ever since I've been on my new adventure, I've thought about our "being brave thing" several times a day.






On my way home from work, I saw this sign. Minus the dash board and bug splatters, it says, "Be brave."

HOW APROPRIATE!!!


For those of you that don't know yet, and for those that do...I got a job offer!! In............



























































Mohave Valley, Arizona


Not quite as exotic as I wanted, but I took it anyway. It is a job teaching preschool to children with developmental disabilities.



So, I got into my little silver car and drove south for several hours and ended up here.



Again, sorry about the dash board but it's really hard to drive and take pictures at the same time.

When I got into town I stayed at a casino hotel because they are SO cheap, which is what I needed because I had to stay there for 4 nights while I found housing and got everything ready. This is where I stayed.



It's shaped like a boat!!!! How cool is that!! I think I ended up paying around $63 for 4 nights. I only ate there twice but both meals were AMAZING and fit for a queen!! The first thing I tried was:


Cobb salad from heaven!! I know not everybody is a blue cheese fan, but this was to die for!!



A couple of days later I ordered this:




Pasta!! Note the saltine cracker. I got it to go and the waiter forgot to give me eating utensils. I was too lazy to walk all the way back to the restraunt so I improvised! I know what you're thinking, "She's one of those geeks who takes pictures of her food." But when it's this good you've got to document it somehow! Well, now I am (mostly) settled in my little apartment and getting familiar with the school and area.


Now, back to the beginning of this post. I have been in a brand new area for almost two weeks now. I didn't know one person when I first came here. I didn't know the school, the area, or anything about this place before I came. Some times have been exciting, others a little uncomfortable. So, the point is; if you ever want to burst your comfort zone bubble, move somewhere you've never been on your own. I actually think everyone should do this at least once in there life, although, I know it's not possible for most people. It's amazing the experiences you'll have, the people you'll meet, and the things you'll learn along the way. So, here I am, in little old Bullhead City, Arizona! If any of you want to visit, I would LOVE to have you!


To Rachel: I was going to tell you that I did my one brave thing for the day, but I think that moving to a new state counts for at least the rest of the year! At least I haven't said awkward things to any guys yet!!


Love you all and hope you are all well and happy!! And remember to have an adventure every single day!!

4 comments:

Erin Farrar said...

Tandy! I am so happy for you! I will have to come visit one day and you can show me all around... how far are you from the Grand Canyon? Congrats on the job. I bet your amazing.

Rachel said...

Tandy, your bravery is so inspiring to me! :) I wish I could have courage like you. Well, I guess you'll just have to teach me when I come down to visit- Perfect! Ah, I miss you!

Camclan said...

Awesome! I love that "one brave thing a day idea!" Awe inspiring! Wish I could come visit i would have been there by yesterday! You will do amazing I just know it!

Pam Emerson said...

Tandy! You're only like 4 hours from me ;) I'm so proud of you and happy you found a job. I hope you enjoy it. Maybe we can arrange a visit, or to meet in Vegas or something sometime.